It’s not all polluted – a few observations about dire driving, confused conversations and the sumptuous scenery from our recent road trip across Shanxi Province
Tag Archives | shanxi
In addition to all the merchant homes in Pingyao, the most successful families built compounds out of town. The best known of those is the Qiao Family Courtyard, Qiao Jia Dayuan.
PingYao is one of China’s most loved domestic tourist destinations. People come away describing the dream-like qualities of the old cobbled streets, the peaceful courtyards of the historic buildings and the friendly openness of the people.
Our hotel in QiKouZhen was the QiKou Kezhan, an imposing former merchants house on the steep banks overlooking the Yellow River.
On the bare banks of the Yellow River, deep in the middle of nowhere in Shanxi Province, lies what’s left of the once mighty Qikou zhen trading post.
A few kilometres up the road from Qikou zhen is Lijiashan cave dwelling village, home to the extended Li family.
Subscribe / Connect
Enter your address to receive updates by email (What are all these social media links?):
Map of posts on page
- Applying for a Chinese visa – Hong Kong, China April 25, 2011
- Simple guide to choosing a VPN for China (and elsewhere!) April 24, 2012
- Travel memory : My worst ever tour group June 26, 2012
- Unusual foods I’ve eaten around the world March 16, 2012
- Staring – Yinchuan, China May 3, 2011
- Less common tips for first-time visitors to China April 26, 2012
- Whale Watching off San Diego May 23, 2013
- One Day in Los Angeles (is enough), California May 22, 2013
- Driving through Big Sur at sunset – Monterey, California May 16, 2013
- Monterey Bay Aquarium – The Ocean’s Edge May 14, 2013
- The Jellies Experience – Monterey Bay Aquarium May 9, 2013
- Sea Dragons at Monterey Bay Aquarium May 6, 2013
- Sandra Foyt Last time I did that drive it was with kids and dogs in the days where we used a AAA guide book to find hotels,... read more
- Andrea I don't love LA either...I think it's a great destination for film buffs and the star-struck, but if you're like me and really detest Hollywood... read more
- May 23 Update I didn't notice--everything moved very quickly once inside. I arrived at about 8:45am, was inside the office by 9:10, and only spent a few minutes... read more
- Lavi Thank you for that Tan read more
- May 23 Update Hi, Krakozhian refugee hoping to transfer F to Z visa.... ok, kidding. I'm an American who just processed my Z-visa in Hong Kong and wanted... read more
- Older »